Even with so many cameras, to catch someone in the act, someone needs to be monitoring the cameras for them to be effective immediately. Which bring us to the second point. Even though a crime happened, hopefully the images and videos that were captured were enough to catch the criminal and put him behind bars.
EyeSpyTech feels really sorry for the person who was raped, but hopefully with the video that was captured, police can take a predator off of the streets.
BY DORIAN BLOCK, VERONIKA BELENKAYA and ALISON GENDAR
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Friday, March 21st 2008, 4:00 AM
Video surveillance image of unidentified rape suspect inside elevator Thursday at Van Dyke housing complex in Brownsville, Brooklyn.
Once again a rapist was caught on videotape, and once again cops failed to see him, police sources said Thursday.
A 19-year-old woman was raped at knifepoint inside the Van Dyke houses in Brooklyn early Thursday - a housing complex with more than 200 cameras supposedly monitored around the clock by the NYPD.
Sources told the Daily News that at least one video camera recorded the rapist grabbing the young woman and pulling her into an elevator.
The suspect hustled the young woman out of the elevator and raped her in a stairwell landing of the Brownsville complex, sources said. The actual sexual assault was not caught on video, police said.
"What he did is the worst thing to do to someone," the victim's aunt said. "He is a monster, this man."
Police officials believe the attacker is the same man who raped a 30-year-old woman March 6 in the housing complex.
In both cases, the man wielded a knife and dragged his victim to a stairway landing. Both times he made similar threats, saying, "Don't scream, don't fight or I'll stab you," sources said.
The 30-year-old victim told police she recognized the man from the neighborhood, which is why her guard was down.
What horrified residents was that in both cases, the rapist, if not the violent attack, was caught on video. The suspect who raped the woman March 6 was on camera for nearly 30 minutes, sources said.
Roughly 224 cameras feed live video to 30 small TV monitors. Each camera's image flashes for only seven seconds.
Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said the actual sex assault was not filmed. He said there was no indiction that any suspicious action was transmitted in the seven-second bursts.
Police released a video image of the suspect - and offered a $12,000 reward for his capture.
The video monitors are staffed mostly by cops who are on medical leave or face disciplinary action and cannot carry a weapon.
The officers, in the so-called viper units, call other cops to respond to criminal activity.
"It's mind-numbing, and actually difficult, to watch 30, 40, 50 cameras, all flashing different images every five to seven seconds," said a cop familiar with the system. "It's bad for the residents, it's bad for the cops."
Police asked anyone with information about the suspect to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-8477.
agendar@nydailynews.com
Discuss this Article
48 comments
lindy Mar 21, 2008 5:36:32 PM Report Offensive Post
Can we please stop yapping about whether Obama's grandmother was afraid of black people....let's get down to the issues and what is he going to do about it. I am tired of talk, let's see if he can walk the walk. He is about as black as I am and I am a white person. He has no idea what it is like to be black in America. Why do black people believe he is like them. He is a white guy who has a black father that he hardly ever saw. He was RAISED WHITE. Let's settle that and get down to the issues. I don't care if his skin is RED, can he pull this country out of the **** **** Bush has created.
Calico Mar 21, 2008 5:55:43 PM Report Offensive Post
Another point of view - hold it. I NEVER said that I don't like cops. I HAVE stated repeatedly that I do NOT tolerate nor accept cops that are abusive bullies, crooked, corrupt, deviants, drug users &/or peddlers, inept, incompetent, malfeasant, rogue, wife-beaters or those that pimpp minors. BIG difference. I want honest cops that are not bullies or trigger happy. BIG difference...! I suppose you'd be surprised if I found something to agree with you on? I do NOT like Black criminals. I do NOT like Hispanic criminals (regardless of nationality), I do NOT like Caucasian criminals or any kind of criminal... period! I particularly abhor child predators or those that abuse, rape & torture women or victimize women or children. BUT, I also do not like incompetent & malfeasant deadbeats in education, housing, MTA, politics, government, etc.
Calico Mar 21, 2008 5:58:56 PM Report Offensive Post
LanceKates - I've said it often before and I'll repeat it again: I am in favor of gun control... A FIRM TWO-HANDED GRIP! I think that says it all.
datroofpleez Mar 21, 2008 6:34:32 PM Report Offensive Post
maybe not enough cops actually watch the show and they really are trying to hide from cameras these days so there will be no proof of them playing around with their guns and b - s' n while on duty plus they can't shoot anyone ..
Shadmin Mar 21, 2008 6:48:21 PM Report Offensive Post
I feel for you who live in another fiefdom (New York City) which has a Criminal Workplace Safety bill in place. That is what the result is when citizens are not allowed to defend themselves with lethal force. Guns may not be the perfect solution but they do give those who are not physically able to defend themselves one on one against the disenfranchised victims of the elitist society ie (criminals) a chance to defend themselves at least! I dont care how poor someone was growing up or how discriminated against they feel they have been, thats a **** poor excuse to be a criminal and victimize others! Upbringing no matter how terrible is not the blame for criminal behavior the blame is on that person who has decided to commit the horrific crimes and we as a society need to hold them fully accountable! Either throw them in prison for life (no parole) for even one sex offense or give them the death penalty! How many more victims do we need before everyone finally gets sick of it and says e
2bit Mar 21, 2008 6:53:47 PM Report Offensive Post
What folly to expect the government, any government to protect you 24/7! If anything, by butting in the government just mucks up the works. Protect yourself, defend yourself, better yourself, do for yourself and for gosh sake, live for yourself! Less government is better government. People, wean yourselves; then you will be proud, happy and independent.
Famous N Randy Mar 21, 2008 8:37:46 PM Report Offensive Post
Just so long as they don't allow people to arm up to protect themselves from cowardly vermin like this. We can't have that. The police can obviously help in situations like this. Pay no attention to the 2nd amendment. Just ask any lib.
Conny_Lyngus Mar 21, 2008 11:09:51 PM Report Offensive Post
Sounds like he was just keepin it real!
Bat Masterson Mar 22, 2008 12:21:11 AM Report Offensive Post
this is a sick person . I can understand the need for sex but I buy it before I rape a any woman. no sex is worth 25 years
luds21 Mar 22, 2008 3:36:20 AM Report Offensive Post
The only thing the police/government can do is come clean up the mess. Take the report, interview the victim and other witnesses. When are people going to realize they need to take action to protect themselves? Why is it that it is not reported that the cities that have the strictest gun laws have the highest crime rates, murders, rapes, and robberies? Wake up America. Liberal ideas sound good at the surface (i.e. just ban all guns and we will all live in peace and harmony).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment